Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Where I've been and do you know what this is?

I know, I've been missing in action for a few days, but I had good reason. First I was so tired after the World Cup Opening Ceremony ( wasn't that just awesome? A bit messy, very busy and colourful, but so African! I sat on the pitch behind the girls, crying, I was so overwhelmed by pride and patriotism. When the crowd started spelling SOUTH AFRICA with the kids, I wept.)
After that I spent a few days in the Kwa Zulu Natal Midlands with some of my friends from school. It was bitterly cold, but we had a fantastic time. We stayed in Nottingham Road and spent a few days exploring the area. Went to see Michaelhouse school - where the Spud books are about - saw 'Pissing Pete' and saw the Paraguayan team practise .
I took the following photo in Nottingham Road. If anybody knows what plant this is, please let me know. I have never seen anything like it.
We went for long walks in the area, it is just so very beautiful and we had to, after all the food we consumed. LOL This is the road in front of the house where we stayed, actually I think it is the only road in the neighbourhood.
Then, on Fathersday, the kids took dad for a ride on the Gautrain. Great excitement! Juan has been visiting us the last couple of weeks, using the Gautrain and he swears that he will never again come to the East Rand by car. It takes just 12 minutes from Sandton to Rhodesfield! Compare that to about 2 hours on the Highway if you are lucky and you can see why.

Here is the whole family after breakfast in Sandton, waiting to get on the train. The only ones missing are Juan, because he stays in Sandton, Vaughan, my SIL - because he is too scared of the train (don't ask!) and Barry, Ankie's BF, he is taking the photo.

So girls, as you can see, I have been very busy, doing very little. LOL I am back in my craftroom, playing and will show you something soon, I promise.
Have a great rest of the week.



2 comments:

  1. Glad you're back...I also want to ride on the Gautrain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fruit that you have a picture of are called "Amatingulu" not sure if that is the correct spelling, but we used to eat them as children on our way home from the beach, they grew wild, they have a very sticky white milk inside and are very sweet. Yummy!! got the juices flowing here seeing them.
    smiles
    Paola

    ReplyDelete