Wednesday, October 26, 2011

I am SOOOOO Late and WNOYWW

No, you are not seeing things, and it is not a typing error, it is 'What is NOT on your Workdesk Wednesday' for me. I am not dead or abducted, it is just silly season at school this time of the year, so there really is very little (other than schoolwork which is so utterly boring, it is scary) on my desk
This is not even my desk. I did a birthday party for a 9 year old girl last Friday and they made little maze books and covered journals. I thought I would show you some of their lovely work. I find these kiddies parties delightful, but VERY tiring and I am being asked to do more and more of them. Kids are so ready to try everything you tell them.


Here are some samples of their maze books. I think they did an absolutely amazing job!

These two were made by the birthday girl's older brother and his friend. Very reluctant in the beginning to do the 'girl stuff', but they loved every minute of it! LOL

Thought I would also show you the wonderful cake my daughter Karin made for her little girl, Hannah's seventh birthday. She has had no formal training in cake decorating and I think she has some real talent. I am seriously considering giving her a cake decorating course as a birthday present. What do you think? A good idea or not?

These last few weeks have been very very busy and very crazy, There has been so many last things to do before exams start next month. Last assembly, last MASS, the Valedictory for our grade 12's who started their exam on Monday and all the goodbyes that go with that. A very sad time for us here at St. Doms. Some of our girls have been at the school for 15 years!


Valedictory is so emotional, it takes me a few days to recover. The girls attend a MASS with all their parents and their teachers. It is a beautiful Mass and the school really tries very hard to make it special for the girls. This year, the hall was lined with the footprints of every girl in the school, from grade 000 till grade 11 - symbolising the grade 12's journey at our school and the footprints that they are leaving behind.


While Mass is going on, the rest of the school forms a guard of honour from the door (starting with grade 000's and ending with grade 11's)right up to the fish pond quad where the girls and their parents enjoy cake and refreshments. When the first girl leaves the hall our big school bells start ringing and the are rung untill the last girl reaches the quad! Goosebump stuff! The girls usually weep when they walk down the guard of honour, they hug every girl they know in the school. Fathers and mothers walk down there with tears in their eyes. It is times like these that I remember just how lucky I am to be part of such a special school!


The girl in the photo is the outgoing president of our SRC. I work very closely with the SRC and it has been my priviledge to work with this very special young lady. I have seen her grow this past year, from a very capable, but very scared little girl, in awe of the responsability the school gave her to a very confident young woman who will go out and qonquer the world. I will miss you Dintshi, you will always have a very special place in my heart and those very big shoes you were so scared to fill are even bigger now!


I know that somebody with such joy in her heart will go far in life! Go well my dear and never ever lose the ability to be joyfull in the face of adversity and thank you so much for the wonderful footprints you have left in my heart and at the school that you love so much!


Enjoy your week everybody and don't forget to visit Julia at: http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

  1. Hi Tertia, those little albums are so cute! Do you do the children's parties for a living, or is it just for relatives and friends? I've been thinking of that as a great business, having craft themed parties and providing the kits and materials. Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow those little books are beautiful ...you must be a very good ...and patient teacher. As for classes for your daughter ...does she need them ??...they might stint her creativity??? ...and yes, she is very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the wonderful tradition of your school. I must admit, I had tears in my eyes as I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story Tertia, about Dintshi - how lucky she was that the staff knew how much good the responsibility would be for her. Marvellous, I was a bit teary reading about the Valedicotry plans..oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this with us Tertia. Hier sit ek met trane in my oe jong! Shew... a wonderful tradition you have there. I'd be a wreck though... am too emotional! The children's books are stunning, just love them. Can you put a tutorial on sometime where you're NOT so busy! hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those albums are fantastic,and reading about Dintshi was lovely. Its wonderful when people surprise themselves with what they can do, isn't it? And a very definite BIG YES to the idea of the cake decorating classes, I'm sure she'd love it, and appreciate it.Sorry I am late visiting, Blogger has been a real pain this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You still have the energy to teach young children to make these pretty books...hat off to you my friend. I believe that Karin would love a Cake decorating present from you she is truly creative(just like her mamma). Will think of you during this busy time for you at school.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be very talented to be able to teach the children to produce such good work. That sounds a very emotional event for all who attend, but what memories it must give.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are very beautiful books the kids made. I have a feeling that you are a wonderful teacher - but you said that you love your work and one can see and feel that. How very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, amazing cake and I love the photo at the end! Happy late WOYWWED!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What beautiful books the children created - what a wonderful teacher you must be!!I loved your whole post - really touching, especially that marvellous final picture - that could easily win photographic competitions!! And yes, I'm sure your daughter would love cake decorating classes! Happy belated WOYWW, Shoshi #84

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Tertia this was a goosebump post - my heart goes out to those girls the class I taught last term are moving on a t the end of this year and was trying to implant in them to choose the right path where ever God may lead them, and thanks for popping over and happy WOYWW, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - a fab post this week Tertia and I'm so glad I stopped by here today. I can understand what you say about the girls walking the guard of honour. When my Lil Miss B left her primary school this July past, they were drummed out of the school by a corps of drummers from the 3rd Yorkshire Regiment of soldiers, who are barracked in the town her school was in. Quite an emotive moment!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great story!! the books are BEAUTIFUL!! for a gran, you have TOO much energy!!lol!! you are always so hectically busy!!you should have a break and a kit kat!!

    ReplyDelete